Make Your Own Fleece Blankets
Everyone loves fleece blankets and there’s nothing more special than getting a hand made fleece blanket from a loved one for a gift. Making your own fleece blankets to give as a gift is easier than you may think.
The following information summarizes how to make fleece blankets in three popular styles. These blankets can be customized with embellishments or favorite colors to create a unique gift. Personalized fleece blankets don’t have to take a long time to create and most can be finished in a single afternoon.
No Sew Fleece Blankets
- Select two sections of fleece fabric for blankets. Your local fabric store will have a wide selection of fleece available. Look for something that can easily be washed. You’ll want a fleece that comes in a wide width. Have the sales clerk cut you two pieces that are two to three yards long, depending on how big you want your blanket to be. The two pieces should be different patterns, but equal sizes.
- Wash and dry the material. Iron out any wrinkles.
- Put the pieces together, with the good side facing away from one another. Pin the pieces together on three sides.
- On the side that is not pinned together, use scissors to make three-inch long incisions every inch down the length of the side. Cut through both materials at once.
- Using one adjacent strip from each of the materials, tie the strips together. Continue until all of the strips are tied together down the length of the side of the blanket.
- Repeat step 5 until all of the sides are finished.
Simple Fleece Blankets
- Select two pieces of fleece fabric for blankets. The pieces should be wide and two to three yards long.
- Select satin edging in a complimentary color. You will need enough edging to go around the exterior of the blanket. This amount will vary depending on the width of your fabric and how long you decide to make the blanket.
- Place the two pieces of fleece on the floor, right sides facing each other.
- Fold the satin edging in half and place it in between the two pieces of fleece along the edges. The folded side of the satin should be towards the middle of the blanket.
- Pin all the sides.
- Sew along the edge, leaving a ½ seam allowance. Leave a six inch section on any side unsewn.
- Pull the blanket through the unsewn section so it is right side out.
- Hand stitch to close the remaining opening.
Fleece Car Blankets
- Select a single length of fleece. You will want to purchase between one and two yards of material.
- Wash and dry the fleece.
- Using a serger, bind all edges of the fleece section.
- Add an appliqué, edging or any other embellishment that you like to personalize the blanket.
A fleece blanket is easier to make than an afghan blanket and provides just as much joy to the recipient. So try making one now and enjoy the process.